Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to reduce Google crawl frequency?

Hello experts, 

Would you please tell me how can I reduce the crawling frequency of Google to my site? 

Thanks in advance. 

Click on your target site.
Then click on the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the page, and select Site Settings from the drop-down menu.
Select the radio button of 'Limit Google's maximum crawl rate'.
Then adjust according to your need.
Click on 'Save'.

That's all.

By the way, why you are going to reduce crawl rate?

Thank you Houque for your kind reply.

Actually, my site has very low hosting resources. As I don't update my site regularly, I want google to crawl less than now. So that, I can cope with my low cost web hosting.

That's not a good idea to reduce crawl frequency. I suggest you to upgrade your web hosting.

Yes, I'm planning to.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. Smile

Houque, can you explain a bit more the relation between the Google bot crawl frequency and web hosting up-gradation. Or else, provide a reference article, I want to know more about this.

Many thanks for sharing all the information.

(12-14-2014, 12:44 AM)JohnGBarker Wrote:  Houque, can you explain a bit more the relation between the Google bot crawl frequency and web hosting up-gradation. Or else, provide a reference article, I want to know more about this.

Dear JohnGBarker, please take a look here.

Nice topic, but why you want changing in crawling frequency ?

(12-14-2014, 09:54 PM)randiv Wrote:  Nice topic, but why you want changing in crawling frequency ?

As I already mentioned, my website has very low hosting resources. My web hosting company told me that, most of these are being consumed by crawlers. That's why i wanted to reduce crawling frequency. But now i'm planning to up grade hosting rather than reducing crawl frequency. 

It's a very good thing that google crawls your site very frequently. So, don't reduce it just to save some cheap resources, instead spend more for web hosting. It will be a good decision.

The crawl delay is in seconds. Make sure not to go too high - 5-10 seconds max should lighten the server load considerably. If you have 1000 new pages per day you want search engines to be able to find them all. However the best method for Google (and possibly Bing) is still using their webmaster tools, as Google ignores the crawl-delay directive in robots.txt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by viakss16
03-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Last Post by subhiksha
09-30-2019, 11:08 PM